The Young Herbalist:
An Experiential Workshop for Children
The Young herbalist
Experience the wonderful world of herbs at this Young Herbalist workshop specially designed for children ages 5-7 years old. Little learners will gain confidence in identifying local and Mediterranean herbs from our garden. Enjoy and engage in fun activities where you will make herb salts, work with dried herbs and make your own infused water while picking up some gardening skills.
Beyond gardening, children will explore creative writing, guided storytelling and spoken word activities that will inspire connections between the literary arts and the natural world.
Set within an emerging urban farm we encourage hands-on learning to provide children with a richer experience. Discover the role herbs play in everyday life through a guided walk and story-based activities.
Take-home materials and garden-inspired goodies worth SGD28.00:
- A bottle of Asian inspired herb salts made by your child
- A bouquet garni made by your child
- Freshly harvested soil-grown chemical-free herbs
- A herb seedling for your herb garden
- A garden journal
Friday, 11 December 2020 https://theyoungherbalist-11dec.peatix.com/
Thursday, 17 December 2020 https://theyoungherbalist-17dec.peatix.com/
This workshop is for children aged 5 - 7 years old, as of December 2020.
No admission for those who are below or above that range.
All participants are encouraged to come 10 mins prior to the start of the workshop for smooth registration.
All participants are required to purchase tickets to attend the workshop.
This is a drop-off programme. Parents are to drop-off their child and leave the space once registration has been completed.
There will be NO refunds or transfer of tickets.
ATTIRE AND THINGS TO BRING:
- Dress comfortably to work in the garden
- Wear covered shoes
- Poncho (in case there is a light drizzle)
- Mosquito patch
- Water bottle
WET WEATHER PLAN
All participants will be asked to put on their poncho in the event of a light drizzle.
If the rain is heavy, we will continue the program in different assigned sheltered spots within Goodman Arts Centre.
SAFE DISTANCING MEASURES (Phase 2):
At Goodman Arts Centre
All entering Goodman Arts Centre will have to use SafeEntry/TraceTogether to check-in at the designated entry points (Block O Carpark entrance or at Block K side gate entrance along Mountbatten Road).
At Goodman Community Farm
Registration before the workshop will include the following:
- SafeEntry QR Code check-in of participant/s. We encourage participants to use TraceTogether App for speedy check-in purposes. You can include your child’s details for checking in via TraceTogether App.
- Temperature taking, symptoms screening and declaration form to be completed by parents.
- Attendance taking and checking of information provided. (Parent’s and/or accompanying adult's name and contact)
- Sanitisation of hands before entering garden space.
This is a drop off workshop - Parents will have to drop off children and leave the workshop area after registration
During the session:
- Participants will be split into 2 groups of 4-pax per group with 1 facilitator.
- Both these groups will run simultaneously and be kept apart as two separate workshop stations.
- There will be no sharing of tools and materials during the workshop.
- Hand sanitizer and washing bay with soap will be readily available on site.
- Hand washing and sanitization of participants' hands are advised.
- Cultivate Central will retain the list of participants (for at least 28 days), according to MOH guidelines.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO RECORDING RULES
The organizer will be documenting this event through photo and video recording, for archival and publicity purposes, please let us know if you do not want your child in any of these photos and/or videos.
Directions to Goodman Arts Centre / Parking information / Public transport information.
Look for signs that say 'The Young Herbalist'.
The outdoor garden spaces are unfortunately not wheelchair accessible.
FOOD & BEVERAGE
Parents may go to Cafe Melba for a drink or meal while waiting for children - located at Block N, Goodman Arts Centre.
The nearest McDonald’s Kallang and KFC is a 15-min walk, and the Old Airport Road Food Centre is a 20-min walk.
Drinks vending machines are available at The Goodman Art Centre (please bring sufficient coins).
There is no storage space at the venue. Bulky items (large bags, strollers etc) are not permitted at the venue.
You will be requested to bring the items with you when you drop off your children.
Email: [email protected] / [email protected]
Phone: Carolyn +65 9806 4460 / Dawn +65 85225789